The Non-Libertarian FAQ

January 20th, 2009

I came across the Non-Libertarian FAQ recently — it’s not the first time I’ve seen it, and it won’t be the last. Sigh. For grins, decided to write a reply to the non-libertarian FAQ. I know it’s been done before, but it’s a fun exercise in futility anyways.

I’m responding to the objections in order of appearance, but I have not responded to every objection, yet. Comments are open.

There’s really only one thing to say to people who refuse to tolerate your peaceful existence.  It starts with an “F” and ends with an “uck you!”.  Do the math.

Comments

• KipEsquire says on: January 20, 2009 at 11:04 pm

There’s some really stupid sh*t in there. I especially chuckled at the “explicit social contract” stuff under #6.

• The Whited Sepulchre says on: January 21, 2009 at 6:46 am

My God….I get long-winded sometimes, but how could you read all of that mess, much less respond to it?

It just goes to show that the strongest argument is the one that is so long that no one will read it.

• Thomas Van Wyk says on: January 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Well-said. Better than I could have said it.

Just one tongue-in-cheek gripe, though: in response to this guy’s rants about the “social contract” I would have been lazy and provided a link to Spooner’s “Constitution of No Authority.” :p

I have to hand it to him, though – explicit social contract claims are pretty bold. All the social-contractees I know aren’t bold enough to consider the social contract as anything but implicit and abstract.

• David Z says on: January 21, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Thanks TVW – Huben has another section in which he responds to libertarian favorites like Spooner & Bastiat.

If I’m bored, or unusually unoccupied again sometime in the future, maybe I’ll take a look at those. For now, I’m just going to finish this rebuttal and be done with it. :)

• Cork says on: January 22, 2009 at 1:57 am

I want to read your reply to the FAQ, but for some reason I can’t. Every time I try to open it I get a bunch of blank space. Maybe I’m just stuck with a crappy browser.

I can’t stand Huben either.

• David Z says on: January 22, 2009 at 7:21 am

Cork – what browser are you using? I’m not aware of any problems but if there’s something I can fix, I’d like to address it.

• freeman says on: January 22, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I second Cork’s comment. The site header and sidebar content all show up on my end, but everything else is blank space.

I’m using Opera.

• David Z says on: January 22, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Interesting – I’ll look into it, it’s probably my fault, since I manipulated some of the templates, which almost certainly resulted in non-standard-compliant pages…