The American Dream (TM)

January 31st, 2011

White picket fences and matching flatware, brand new cars every three years, clever coffee tables, two cell phones per person all supported by a nine-to-five which atrophies your brain and body, simultaneously. Cookie-cutter mass-produced and marketed to be everything they’ve conditioned you to think that you want. This is The American Dream™.

White picket fencesThey manufactured The American Dream™ and covered it with slick marketing and fancy jingles and bright shiny packaging and taught you, convinced you that it was your dream and then they solid it to you and you f*cking bought it. Hook. Line. And sinker.

This is The American Dream™. It isn’t your dream. Probably isn’t even close to your dream.

It never was.

And the sooner you realize that, the better off you’re gonna be…

Comments

• slayerboy says on: January 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Here’s a video that goes along with this :P

• Charles says on: February 2, 2011 at 2:10 am

Who has time to dream anyway?

Do you know how many episodes of “Jersey Shore” and “CSI: Miami” I have Tevo’d? It’s gonna take me months to get through those, and that’s if I don’t sleep at ALL.

Thank god for Starbucks, and this “Great Value” brand horse syringe that I am using to inect it straight into my heart.

oops… gotta go… that Lady Gaga song I like just came on the radio…

• mike says on: February 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

Mr Z (or is ‘David’ better?),

Please excuse my ignorance; perhaps you can enlighten me:

“And the sooner you realize that, the better off you’re gonna be…”

I can see how you’d claim that viz the atrophy of mind and body by a 9 to 5, although I’d say that isn’t always a necessary consequence but more usually one acquiesced to by choice. Would you say I am wrong on that score – and if so, why? Regarding your mention of white picket fences, new cars etc – I fail to see what’s wrong with that; is it just a rhetorical image, or do you think there’s something substantively wrong with such things?

• David Z says on: February 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hi Mike, thanks for stopping by & thanks for leaving a question. As you suspect, the “white picket fences” are of course a rhetorical device – there is nothing inherently or necessarily wrong with those things just as there’s nothing wrong per se with apple pies or baseball or Chevy Camaros.

Perhaps the mind/body atrophy isn’t a “necessary” consequence but it’s a far cry from one that is “acquiesced to by choice.”

Despite rhetoric on the left and right to the contrary, we don’t have a “free market” and likewise, as long as the vast majority of our social interactions are also not really free, the end result is something that might resemble freedom, but really isn’t. It’s something that might present some limited choices under the auspice of “freedom” but is essentially a game which is rigged by those with money & political power.

Many years of public schooling have trained people to accept it and conditioned them not to question or ever imagine anything greater or different than that which is presented to them. The corporate world in many aspects mirrors the State’s organizational structure (with all its flaws) and presents very few substantive “choices” for anyone. You & I are given the illusion of choice in politics and in “work”. Decades of public policy have variously beaten, shaped, molded or guided us in to choosing from what is really a rather limited array of options – socially or economically although we may be comparatively free to some parts of the world, we most certainly aren’t very “free” in the grand scheme of things.

• mike says on: February 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm

David,

It was just clarity I was after.

In general, I agree with you on your points viz the “free” market, manipulative political rhetoric and corporate organization (having made these points myself many times).

I’d accept that locating where the atrophy of mind/body by a 9-5 lies between “necessary” and “freely chosen” demands attention to the context of particular cases. I was just after a bit more clarity on where you stand, that’s all.

Cheers,
    mike

• David Z says on: February 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

No worries Mike, I’m always glad to clarify my positions/arguments. Thanks again for stopping by!

• Jeff D says on: March 25, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I once tried to jump over a picket fence and snagged my gentlemens area. Also, have you written anything about Gov Snyders proposal to tax pensions? I realize that the entire tax code is written to control our behavior and should be eliminated, but holy smokes I get worked up when I see the union pensioners complain about 4.25% tax when I will probably end up paying 50% on my 401k when I retire. And another thing I saw in the Lansing State Journal today – MSU students begging for money – “education should be free” one of them said. One guy said he will have 160k in student loans when he finishes his masters degree, then he will go on to his doctorate in – wait for it – anthropology, what a jack ass.

• David Z says on: March 28, 2011 at 9:43 am

I haven’t written anything lately about Snyder’s plan but as much as I am principally opposed to raising taxes on anyone, if taxes are going to be raised, they might as well raise them on today’s pensioners who are as a matter of fact the wealthiest generation to have ever lived in the history of the planet.