Health Care Reform: There Is No Debate

December 22nd, 2009

There is no meaningful debate, anymore. None.

Not when we’re forced to consider the false dichotomy presented by liars on both sides of the aisle. They’ve successfully silenced opposition by repeating lies often enough that everyone forgot there was some truth out there in the first place.

Not when the desires of millions of Americans are being totally ignored. And we are talking about millions, or tens of millions of people, who really, truly believe that the government has no business telling them that as a condition of citizenship we are now obligated to buy healthcare—from a protected and well-connected oligopoly.

According to Agence France Press, the health care reform might advance on Christmas Eve. Merry fucking Christmas, right? Never missing a chance to editorialize, AFP concludes with two of the biggest lies (the omission of the will of millions of citizens, a lie of omission, notwithstanding) that continue to whitewash the real issues. If you can’t immediately spot them, don’t worry. I’ll deconstruct them below.

Washington spends more than double what Britain, France and Germany do per person on health care, but lags behind other countries in life expectancy and infant mortality, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) —AFP

“Washington” doesn’t spend this money. In America the costs are still largely borne by the people, whether individually or as part of a salary/benefits package nominally “provided” by their employers. But yeah, we spend too much. We get a lot more than they do elsewhere, but we spend too much. This is a serious problem which the health reform bill cannot solve, because the health reform bill is ignorant of economic laws. I’ve talked about this before, too:

Like any subsidy, this is a shell game. Money is taxed from Peter to provide for Paul. It doesn’t actually lower the cost of Paul’s health care (which is likely to increase), it simply lowers his out-of-pocket expenses by taking a portion of them from someone else’s pocket. This is not a viable, long-term solution. It’s a political band-aid, designed to beat the masses into submission.

Atomizing the market, putting responsibility (and privilege) back in the hands of the people will do for health care what it did for airline travel: turn something which was once an expensive luxury, into something which even the masses can afford.

AFP also repeats popular misinformation about infant mortality, life expectancy, etc., which is flat out junk science. Don’t click the link, I’ll tell you again:

America lags in some of these statistics, only because other countries lie about their statistics. Infant mortality is high because in America, the health care system (imperfect as it may be) attempts to save live birth babies which other countries consider “unsalvageable”, stillborn, or miscarried — even though by all objective standards (i.e., heartbeat, breathing, etc.) these are in-fact live births.

And for whatever reason, deaths by other-than-natural causes (i.e., accidents, homicides, etc.) are significantly more frequent in the U.S. than they are elsewhere, a factor which skews our longevity statistics downward, and a factor which anyone who’s passed a statistics class could tell you needs to be corrected for when analyzing the data. When you correct for differences in sample, (which is what you do if you want to conduct and report meaningful research), guess which country has the highest life expectancy?

It’s not fucking France.

Comments

• Head says on: December 22, 2009 at 9:33 am

Great article. I literally laughed out loud when I read the last line…while I was in court!

• David Z says on: December 22, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Awesome!

• Don says on: December 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

*as a condition of citizenship we are now obligated*

This is pivotal, in many things.

I reject the notion of citizenry.

People don’t get to just make stuff up out of the blue and then include me in it.

I’ll continue to mind my own business and stay out of their way as they play silly games.

• David Z says on: December 22, 2009 at 3:31 pm

yep, they can feel free to include me out. Forever.

• Don says on: December 23, 2009 at 10:36 am

You write good stuff, stuff that causes me to focus.
    In the past few months I have streamlined my meanderings down to just a few spots and yours is one of them. This thing is getting tighter all the time and its not good to be scattered. The new intellectuals will be the ones that come out the otherside of the endarkenment and I intend to be one of them.

Consider this, the first sentence above:
    “There is no meaningful debate, anymore.”

As far as I’m concerned, there never was.
    Think about it, how the hell does anyone else get to debate anything at all to do with me?

These people are criminal and its fortunate for them that they live way over there.

You see, no sane person will come onto my little slice of sunshine and express themselves so for more than an instant if even that.

They live, as they do, at my convenience.

Question: How did you, at 29, gain the knowledge that took me another 20 years to understand?

• David Z says on: December 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm

hey Don, to your question…

I spoke with my friend Brad (also a frequent commenter here) last night at dinner about this, and the conclusion we reach is that it’s mostly due to the abundance of relatively free knowledge on the interwebs, without which it’s unlikely that I’d be the same person who writes this blog. That’s why we see people in their 40s & 50s and 20s and 30s and teens all kind of having this mass-awakening in the last few years, it’s only now that this information has been made available. Had I been born in 1960 instead of 1980, I’d probably be in the same boat as you are right now. But if I had been born in 1990, you’d be asking how it was possible that I could’ve gained this knowledge by the age of 19.

My 2 cents.

• Don says on: December 24, 2009 at 5:00 pm

David, Excellent. My son is 30 and displays a similar thinking trait as you have done, and I agree on your take on this. You see, I always knew that I thought differently than many people around me but never knew why. It has been since being online for the past 15 years or so that I’ve found many thinkers like myself and have expanded my view. Younger people like you and my son give me a little bit of hope for the future. But we all have our work cut out for us. Onward.