Agorism: Be the Change You Want to See

July 15th, 2010

On agorism’s revolutionary superiority to other ideologies, I previously argued: “Agorism has the greatest chance of success because its proponents accept piecemeal victories, but primarily because agorists don’t succumb to the same loser-mentality as other econo-political ideologies.” Echoing these thoughts, the suburban anarchist recently echoed those thoughts, in a post suggesting that traditional anarchists can learn a few things from agorism:

The best thing that could happen to the anarchist movement as a whole, in my opinion, would be for every self-declared anarchist to start working with those around them that feel the same on building their own little vision of what society should look like

To which I reply: I think agorism as a revolutionary strategy has a far better chance of success than sit-ins and demonstrations. It re-invents the “invisible hand”. It’s micro-revolution. Incremental victory. Start by being 1% more free than you were yesterday. You can’t change the world for everyone in it. Admit that. Focus those for whom you can change the world, for whom you can make a difference.

If everyone were to start there, instead of going to some black bloc circle-jerk, I think we’d all be surprised at how rapidly we could effect real change.

Comments

• downdurnst says on: July 15, 2010 at 11:16 am

Thanks for the ping, appreciate it. As I mentioned in the post, to me the beauty of agorism as a praxis is that it values action over theory.

As I mentioned, I’m probably closer to a libertarian socialist or mutualist then I am to an an-cap – but in the end, it doesn’t really matter. Agorist principles of action, and building something NOW instead of waiting for the ‘glorious revolution’ are exactly what anarchism as a whole needs.

Like I said, are you an anarcho-syndicalist? Then go out and start building your syndicates, alliances, whatever NOW. Anarcho-communist? Start building that society that you and your comrades want NOW, incrementally as David says.

I can look at any theory of anarchism I’ve ever studied and see where agorist principles of action would fit – it’s worth the time for any anarchist to look at, even if you don’t agree with the ‘market’ wording of agorism.

• George Donnelly says on: July 15, 2010 at 11:30 am

You can’t change the world for everyone in it

If you’re claiming that that is the goal of people who are publicly active in demonstrations, protests and general awareness-raising, that would be incorrect, or at least an over-generalization.

At least some people who do that would say that their goal is publicity, to expand the ranks of liberty lovers or at least subvert the ranks of authoritarians.

• David Z says on: July 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

Hi George – I’m not sure why your comments are ending up in the moderation queue…

Anyhow, you’re right. I do not mean to diminish the value of raising public awareness, etc., so perhaps I am guilty of over-generalization in that regard, but the fact remains that we can’t change the world for everyone in it, without first changing it for A) ourselves, and B) those with whom we work and cooperate. Everything else follows suit, IMO.

• Zach S says on: July 16, 2010 at 9:47 am

I really like this post. It’s pretty simple and down right true.

• Don says on: July 17, 2010 at 7:29 am

If your goal is to change others, do so through example.
    In other words, to hell with everyone else and live your life as you see fit.
    Stop pretending, or wussing out.
    If you believe in freedom and individualism, then start living it, start thinking it.
    I don’t like pigeon holes or name tags and don’t really care for all this categorizing.
    Either you are free or you are a slave, there is no in between, and it starts inside your head.
    All of these things, the categorizing and naming of things, is a direct result of the enslavement mindset in order to appease oneself that he is free inspite of his largely agreed upon or at the very least tolerated enslavement and collectivist mindset.

It starts with you.

• George Donnelly says on: July 17, 2010 at 8:29 am

“categorizing and naming of things” is called scholarship, Don. It’s part of the study of anything, including liberty.

• Don says on: July 17, 2010 at 9:14 am

Renaming the thing changes nothing George.
    You’ve proven my point.

• George Donnelly says on: July 17, 2010 at 9:18 am

You just changed your argument. Now it’s about “renaming” things. But originally you were talking about “categorizing and naming of things”. Which one is it?

• Don says on: July 17, 2010 at 9:21 am

YOU renamed (scholarship) it and I called you on the carpet for it.
    Now you’re getting all defensive about it.
    Clean up your act George.

• George Donnelly says on: July 17, 2010 at 9:28 am

You crack me up. I didn’t “rename” it. I simply defined it in a way that’s relevant to the conversation.

• Steven Handel says on: July 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I absolutely agree! Our daily actions are infinitely more powerful than a voting booth.

• Don says on: July 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

All this silly protesting and grandstanding is nothing more than convinced slaves begging for the boot to be removed from their throat but all along it is THEY that placed the boot there.

Most believe they NEED that boot, in the name of security.